1966 USMC All Correct Garande

Anything and everything related to the great equalizer.
Sprinkles
Chapter:: Chapter 6

1966 USMC All Correct Garande

Post by Sprinkles » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:51 pm

I have a buddy looking to sell what I believe he said was 1966, USMC all correct with cartouche Garande. $1500. Anyone interested let me know.

Cheech
Chapter:: Treasurer, Chapter 11, Chair, NWRC

Re: 1966 USMC All Correct Garande

Post by Cheech » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Seems as if I am establishing a habit of commenting on firearms statements. The 1966 date just did not seem right to me, being an old match shooter and still having a Camp Perry vetted M-1 - here goes - the last NM (national match) M-1 was built (or rebuilt) in 1963, at which time it was replaced by the M-14. By 1959 the production of new M-1 rifles was phased out. There is a possibility that the receiver had a fresh barrel installed sometime after the original manufacture date (quite common, actually), but it is not likely that it would have a date later than 1963. The military match grade rifles were hand selected and assembled from previously produced recievers/rifles. Could a USMC armorer have rebuilt a Garand and stamped it possibly using a civilian made barrel? Sure.
At any rate, a nice Garand in good working order is certainly worth $1500 at this time!

sources;
U.S. Army Materiel Command, National Match Rifle brochure, 1964.
Springfield Armory annual reports, 1953-1964,

Curator
Springfield Armory National Historical Site
One Armory Square, Suite 2
Springfield, Mass. 01105-1299

Trust but verify.

Cheech

LT
Site Admin
Chapter:: Chapter 1
President
National Webmaster

Re: 1966 USMC All Correct Garande

Post by LT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks Cheech. I had similar thoughts but the Garand not being a specialty of mine decided to forgo commenting. As you say though, a good price for this rifle regardless. Some day I intend to add an M-1 to my collection of M-14 style and various other historic military rifles, just not right now.
LT
Chapter 1 President
National Webmaster

"Bother" said Pooh, as he connected at 14,400 bps.

"Be polite, be respectful, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." General James Mattis