{Poem} Wolf Leader

Any topic that doesn't seem to fit somewhere else.
Tasha Wolf
Regular
Chapter:: National Membership Chairman

{Poem} Wolf Leader

Post by Tasha Wolf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:52 pm

A wolf stands at the top of a hill, his hill, the same hill he has stood atop at the beginning of each night since his fathers life was ripped from him. Looking out upon the entire valley, surveying his territory, is his way of honoring his father’s last request and sacrifice. His father had said, “Son, abandon your solitary ways, stay with the pack and take your rightful place as their leader.” Of course he did as his father had asked; a wolf never denies such a request. However, will he ever be half as strong of a leader as his father? He doubted it.

From the distance, he hears the pack howling, it is almost time for the hunt. He silently walks back through the night to join in the chase. What a wonderful chase it is! It still amazes him to know that these wolves now follow his commands; but in the hunt, he has learned to trust the others and to listen to their souls. He never understood soul talk before, nor did he hear it before his father died. Now it reverberates through his soul. With precision, the prey is taken down in a matter of minutes. Once the food is taken back to the rest of the pack, he stands at a distance; watching, waiting for all to fill themselves before he eats. Growing up, he had always wondered why his father did that, now he understands fully. As a leader, his responsibility is to protect the pack, to put their lives above his own.

Later in the night, he walks back up the hill. He misses his father. “Why didn’t I stay with the pack back then,” he asks himself. If so, maybe his father would still be alive. He howls into the night, “Father, I may never be as great as you, but I will protect our pack! I will do all I can to honor your request!” From a distance, he hears his mate answer him back with that long beautiful howl of hers. She joins him on the hill and says, “My love, it is true that you are not your father, but indeed you are just as great. The whole pack is willing to die for you, just as you are for them. They no longer see the wandering lost soul you used to be, they see what I see, a strong leader, a noble protector.” In those words, he is comforted. He nuzzles his love, knowing everything will be okay.

Tasha LeeAnne Wolf
13 September 2008
Sister Tasha Wolf
NEC Membership Chairman